Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Disfiguring declarations.


Two days ago my flickr friend William posted a picture and called in Bamboo Love (see here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamnyk/3896263931/in/photostream/). I was quite upset with this picture because it shows the insensitivity of Malaysian. I notice that Malaysian young lovers like to carve their declaration of affections onto perfectly defenceless plants and objects. Look at this photograph. Not an inch of the poor bamboo has been spared. And I wonder where they learn this disgusting habit from?

Not too long ago I was in a garden in Cameron Highland. I was enjoying myself taking photographs of the beautiful flowers when I came across a disfigured cactus. Someone had carved an inane love message on that poor plant. It must have taken years for that cactus to grow to that size. But because of someone foolishness and insensitivity the plant appearance was changed from being bold and majestic to something ugly and hideous. It would be better if he had carved that message on the lover's face instead!

When I was young my grandmother taught us not to deface plants and rocks. She said if you do that then your children will be born with ugly marks on their faces! And I sincerely hope what she said is true.

No comments: